1 Timothy 2: 1-4: I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
Last week was the annual summit of the United Nations General Assembly, which was attended by Presidents and Prime Ministers of almost every nation. In PM Netanyahu’s speech to the General Assembly, (October 1st) he spoke powerfully, with great honesty and passion about the possible consequences of the nuclear deal with Iran, about Iran’s aggressive actions in the last six months, about Israel’s continued goal to defend her people, and at the same time her desire to build for peace with surrounding nations. In addition, he outlined some of the good values of Israel, such as protecting holy and sacred sites of all religions and offering medical treatment to war victims from Syria. All this in stark contrast to the destructive actions of Iran and ISIS.
In his conclusion, he made a passionate appeal to the United Nations, and all who will listen to stand with Israel as the country that is standing in the breach, ‘– proudly and courageously, defending freedom and progress.’
I was very moved by his speech as were many Israelis. I quote commentator David Silver of Out Of Zion Ministries ‘ We are very proud of our Prime Minister. He truly is what his name means – Netanyahu = given by God.’
I have been moved to deeper intercession for Bibi, as he stands for freedom and God’s way and I would like to encourage you to take about an hour of your time to read his speech or listen to the Youtube recording and spend some time in prayer for this leader and for Israel. The scripture above shows us that this is God’s will, so that we will lead a life of peace in which the Gospel can be preached and the Kingdom extended.
Some key points from his speech:
- …. after three days of listening to world leaders praise the nuclear deal with Iran, I begin my speech today by saying: Ladies and Gentlemen, check your enthusiasm at the door. You see, this deal doesn’t make peace more likely. By fueling Iran’s aggressions with billions of dollars in sanctions relief, it makes war more likely
- Unleashed and unmuzzled, Iran will go on the prowl, devouring more and more prey. In the wake of the nuclear deal, Iran spending billions of dollars on weapons and satellites.
- Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei said five days after the nuclear deal was reached: “Our policies towards the arrogant government of the United States will not change.”
- Ladies and Gentlemen, I have long said that the greatest danger facing our world is the coupling of militant Islam with nuclear weapons. And I’m gravely concerned that the nuclear deal with Iran will prove to be the marriage certificate of that unholy union.
- Israel will not allow Iran to break in, to sneak in or to walk in to the nuclear weapons club. I know that preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons remains the official policy of the international community. But no one should question Israel’s determination to defend itself against those who seek our destruction.
- So here’s my message to the rulers of Iran: Your plan to destroy Israel will fail. Israel will not permit any force on earth to threaten its future.
- And here’s my message to all the countries represented here: Whatever resolutions you may adopt in this building, whatever decisions you may take in your capitals, Israel will do whatever it must do to defend our state and to defend our people.
- Israel remains committed to achieving peace with the Palestinians as well. Israelis know the price of war
- Yet Israel, Israel will always respect the sacred shrines of all. In a region plagued by violence and by unimaginable intolerance, in which Islamic fanatics are destroying the ancient treasures of civilization, Israel stands out as a towering beacon of enlightenment and tolerance. Far from endangering the holy sites, it is Israel that ensures their safety. Because unlike the powers who have ruled Jerusalem in the past, Israel respects the holy sites and freedom of worship of all – Jews, Muslims, Christians, everyone.
- Israel is civilization’s front line in the battle against barbarism. So here’s a novel idea for the United Nations: Instead of continuing the shameful routine of bashing Israel, stand with Israel. Stand with Israel as we check the fanaticism at our door. Stand with Israel as we prevent that fanaticism from reaching your door. Ladies and Gentlemen, Stand with Israel because Israel is not just defending itself. More than ever, Israel is defending you.
You can read the full transcript of his speech here:
Or watch the speech on You Tube: